Thursday, September 10, 2009

What I'm making for dinner

Red beans cooked with whole peeled tomatoes and basil
Brown Rice
Crockpot Drumsticks
Yogurt cheese

I started by putting the beans in the crockpot. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder and frozen chopped basil leaves. I would have added onions too, if I had remebered. I covered generously in filtered water, than added the chicken and the tomatoes. # hours later, I realized it wasn't going to cook in time, so I transferred the beans and liquid to the stove and left the chicken in the crockpot. I'm glad the chicken cooked for a while with the beans, though-the beans have a richer broth and the chicken had time in the spices. We usually eat this dish with sour cream but I am on a new food budget where I don't buy anything that's not 100% healthy and low fat. I have a ton of yogurt so I decided to make yogurt cheese. All it takes is a coffee filter and a mason jar. Put the coffee filter in the jar and rubber band the top around the jar. Mix some yogurt with salt, spoon into the filter and than wait. I'm going to add green onions from my friend Beth's garden when it's done, and maybe some garlic and fresh basil. Great, tasty alternative to sour cream!

When the beans are done I am going to cook some brown rice.
When it's done, you just lay down a circle of rice, top with beans, top with chicken, add yogurt cheese.
My kids really like this dish, surprisingly.

0 comments: