Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Simple Blood Test

I was reading through some pregnancy/labor books the other day (I'm on call again to be a doula) and I came across a very disturbing (to me) passage in one of the books.
It was talking about medical procedure when newborns have fevers, and said that a simple blood test is all that is required now, in place of a full workup of blood test, spinal tap and urinalysis. I'm floored and I feel violated, once again. Bella had a fever when she was born and was given the full workup when she was 3 days old. With no anesthetic. The spinal tap alone took an hour. Now, barely 5 years later, they consider that unnecessary and outdated. It's weird how violated I feel when I feel that my child has been hurt. I felt bad enough when I thought it was necessary. Any trust I ever had in the medical community is pretty much fractured by now. What else are they going to look back on and realize was totally unnecessary? I know of so many already.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara!
I'm sad to hear your faith in the medical profession is so shaken. I feel terrible that Bella ever had to endure one second of pain, no child should ever go through anything remotely painful. On the otherhand, but not to sound glib, children are extremely resiliant and if Bella were ever to need any kind of medical testing/and or treatment again, I guarantee you you would be praying she were still that young. This is a time where, though pain is still very real, their recovery phase is so much faster, greater than even a baby a year older.
As invasive as that procedure seemed don't you take comfort in knowing that millions of babies will no longer have to have that and their parents will still have the peace of mind in knowing that their baby is healthy and safe? I know I'm not Bella's mom; but knowing and loving her as I do, I feel alot better knowing that had something serious been wrong and had she needed immediate attention, those tests (as invasive and painful as they were) would have been the fastest and most accurate way of diagnosing something.
The medical communtiy is always changing, usually for the better, trying to eliminate unneccesary procedures and coming from someone who has had more than her share, I can tell you I thank god everyday that there are doctors, nurses and scientists way smarter than I to come up with these things. I think as educated and caring parents and patients it is up to us to question medicine (eastern and western) and decide what works best for us and our loved ones; but losing faith in the entire community feels like throwing our children to the wolves and telling them to fend for themselves. Unfortunately, but inevitably one of our children will need medical attention and it is our job as parents to pray that God care for them and help guide the doctors to the most effective and helpful treatment available. This will be at times painful, and it will then be our job to comfort our children in their hour of need.
As hard for you as it was to see Bella in pain, I assure it was much worse for you than it was for her and twenty years from now your granddaughter won't have to go through that and that will make you smile inside.
I love you and Bella tons!